Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Sanctuary (Part II)

So the trip to Minneapolis was definitely a worthy experience for any up and coming artist, especially for people like me who haven't been exposed to the true art scene. It was great seeing all those works from people who were in similar or extraordinary positions from my own.

My own art really stems from the works of others.

I love viewing my peers' works of art because we are of the same generation and are experiening similar events in our lives. It's amazing to see some of the draftsmenship of some of my peers; I'm just blown away at times, how far we've come in the evolution of art. And so many have found their place in this world. Of course, I have yet to discover where I exactly fit in this world, but for some reason, I kind of like the feeling of ambiguity and flowing in and out of certain social rings in society today. There are so many different social groups and as scary as some might be, I want to experience them all. I guess the idea is to really try and put myself out there now. Before, I was comfortable where I was drawing the norm, with random characters that I would sketch, and in a sense I still do that from time to time. But with the latest development, I've discovered possibly a deeper connection to my artwork.

Enter Fort Minor.

I recently picked up Fort Minor's debut CD a week or so back. Although I was a little worried about Mike Shinoda leaving the group, he was there to inform all Linkin Park fans that it isn't true. Thank God, because to break up one of the greatest rock bands for all time would just be a crime.

Anyways, Fort Minor's sound is something pretty unique not only to the rap scene, but to just about anything I've really listened to in a while. Some tracks do considerably classify as rap, but some of the tracks had more to them than just a rap or rhyme.

"Kenji" - One of the most influential tracks I've listened to in a long time. I guess to break the track down a little, the subject of the track happens to be about the Japanese-American interment camps that were initiated during WWII, post the Pearl Harbor attack by the Japanese. This had a profound affect not only to the Japanese-Americans who dedicated themselves to a new culture and country, but also had a major effect on U.S. history. Problem was, no one would talk of it.

This is a problem we have. We tend to ignore the "smaller" details of war.

Although the Japanese-American interment movement is definintely not a small event, history seems to make small of it.

WE'VE BASICALLY MADE THE SAME MISTAKE THE NAZI'S DID TO THE JEWS.

For those who actually know me and what culture I was born into, you may ask, why am I making such a big deal out of this? I mean, I am Korean after all. The Koreans were victims of Japan's early tyranny during the World War's. Why express sympathy?

Because they were innocent. They are human too.

So with that said, I have actually dedicated my exhibition piece that will be finished in about 2 weeks for a student showing at the College of Design on 3rd floor. I will make sure to post it on here as well and hopefully my new website when that's finished.

Fin.

I guess before I am truly done with this post, I'd like to make not that the song "Sanctuary" by Utada Hikaru has been the song that has been stuck in my head for the past 2 weeks. It's a great song and I highly recommend it. In case you're wondering what it is from or where to seek the track, it's from the Kingdom Hearts 2 soundtrack, or Utada Hikaru's latest album. It's also kind of interesting how that song "Sanctuary" would come in at time like this, with me working on such an art piece. *shrug*

Check it out. Seriously.

No comments: